Saturday, December 6, 2008

December 5th, DUTCH CHRISTMAS


Last night we were invited to the "Sinterklaas" party at the Van Komen's. It is a big Dutch Christmas party that is celebrated every December 5th. St. Nicholas and "Black Pete" come and bring presents for everyone. Last time Haley was embarrassed because "Black Pete" was in one of her classes. She was relieved that it wasn't him this time.
Brennan went on his mission to Holland and Bob Van Komen is Dutch so Brennan had an "in" with him right from the start. It is a big family party with lots of Dutch food (Brennan LOVES it all!) It was fun and we feel very lucky that we keep getting invited each year. Lyssi was missing all the fun because she had a date.
















I brought a stroop waffel home for Lyssi and Colton. It is a thin cookie with a carmel center. It is delicous and we all love them. Even Little Miss Picky Pants. (that could be any one of us!)



























6 comments:

Malauna said...

We have a much smaller scale St Nicholas Day celebration here (Ryan is half Dutch). The kids love it. I should have ordered Stroop Waffels to eat. They are delicious!

Luella said...

What fun! to share a holiday tradition from another part of the world. I have been teaching my students about the December holidays celebrated all around the world. Now I can tell them about this one, too!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fantastic party!! I'm glad you guys come and have a good time. Tell Haylee not to be embarrased about the black Pete in her class. Cause he has to wear tights!! We went and helped out at his families party Saturday night and I asked him where his tights were, he didn't appreciate that too much!

Machtyn said...

That stroopwafel looks good. I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Tammy, call me or Noelle, whichever.

Steph said...

What a fun party! I love the stroop waffels!! they are yummy!
Love you!

The Fieldings said...

I have the movie "Santa and Pete". I didn't know that "Pete" was a Dutch tradition. That's neat!